Throughout the year, a home’s plumbing system gets a lot of use. Frozen pipes, backed up septic systems, and leaks can all be prevented with periodic preventative maintenance on your plumbing. The following are quick and easy things a homeowner can do to maintain their plumbing.
Daily Preventative Maintenance Tips
- Avoid placing hard food waste into the garbage disposal. This includes bones, dense and fibrous plant products, and stringy waste.
- Use cold water to flush the disposal for at least 15 seconds before and after use.
- Never pour grease or oil down the sink as this can cause clogs.
Monthly Preventative Maintenance
- Grind ice cubes and citrus peels. This will clean and sharpen the disposal blades.
- Clean the disposal and pipes by pouring baking soda into the drains and following it with vinegar. Let it sit for an hour or so and flush with running water.
- Check all water connections and pipes leading to the appliances. Make sure there are no leaks and all connections are in good condition.